Subject: Re: Non 66Hz monitor with DECStation 5000/200
To: javi <mesamart@tobor.usc.edu>
From: Peter C. Wallace <pcw@mesanet.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 01/13/2000 10:57:34
On Wed, 12 Jan 2000, javi wrote:

> Hi! Sorry I know that monitors were the subject of a previous thread, but
> I can not find the e-mails in my mailbox.
>
> This is my question, I got a DEC 5000/200 and I am trying to use it as a
> terminal for my intel bsd box. I plan on installing BSD in the pmax,
> however I have no monitor for my box. The PMAG-B board seems to drive
> monitors @66Hz, I have lots of fixed freq monitors (SGI/IBM), but they
> seem to operate @60Hz, thus they can not sync to the PMAX signal, I tried
> tweaking the freq in several of my fixed freq monitors but to no avail. So
> my question is this: is there a known technique to make PMAG work with
> 60Hz monitors. And if not does one a source of cheap VRT19 monitors near
> L.A. area?

	Dont know what the kernel would do, but you might try changing the
OSC1 oscillator can (near the Brooktree RAMDAC) on the PMAGB-B to about
108 MHZ (its probably 119 MHz now). All the PMAGB-Bs that I have seem to
have that oscillator can in a socket. You also have to install the jumper
that selects OSC1. If you do this you will get 1280x1024 with about 60HZ
refresh (as long as the kernel doesnt change anything).
	BTW several HP fixed freq monitors work with PMAGXXX video cards
(A1097, A2094A for example work at 1280x1024, 72Hz refresh)
	I'll give you a VRT19 here in the SF bay area if you want to pick
it up... (I dont want to pick it up, move it, roll it, send it, shove it,
or push it. Just too damn heavy...)

> Also does anyone know where to get PMAG-F's I also have ultrix, and I
> would like to see how that frame buffer does with PHIGS. Also, it seems
> that PMAG-F's are supported in -current, is 24bit color also supported.
>

> OK, that is all for now. Sorry for the intromission.
>
> Francisco J. MesaMart 			   http://www-scf.usc.edu/~mesamart
> USC Autonomous Robotics Research Lab   /  phone no:(213) 740-7288
> Salvatori Computer Science Center     /     e-mail:mesamart@robotics.usc.edu
> 941 West 37th Place, #103 	     /	           mesamart@scf.usc.edu
> Los Angeles, CALIFORNIA 90007-4059  /              mesamart@acm.org
> " There are three kind of people in this world:
>   Those who can count,
>   and those who can not."

Peter Wallace
Mesa Electronics