Subject: Re: Memory problems on 5000/200
To: Simon Burge <simonb@netbsd.org>
From: Chris Tribo <t1345@hopi.dtcc.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 01/11/2000 22:46:32
On Wed, 12 Jan 2000, Simon Burge wrote:

> Chris Tribo wrote:
>

> > Simon,
> >
> > 	Thanks for the info. Do you or anyone else know if this will work
> > under Ultrix Compatibility Mode? All I know of it were from the kernel
> > config file. Not that it really matters since I'll be installing Ultrix
> > anyway, just curious if the testing programs are known to work under
> > NetBSD.
>
> Nope :-(  Is looks for the physmem, maxmem and sminfo info symbols
> in /vmunix then reads those values out of /dev/kmem.  However, it
> shouldn't be too hard to write one from the description...
>
> Simon.

   Would hacking the Ultrix source be too terribly difficult
then? Remapping symbols won't work because it's looking for /vmunix
correct? Or does Ultrix compat. mode handle that? If it does than it's
simply remapping Ultrix symbol names to NetBSD sybols right? Does it go
like this?

/vmunix -> /netbsd such that

/vmunix/physmem -> /netbsd/physmem (which isn't defined I assume, then
just switch physmem to the NetBSD sybol?)

or is it that Ultrix compat mode needs to have these sybols defined in the
kernel, thus being able to use the existing sybols?

    I have next to zero programming experience, but maybe I can figure
this out. Am I on the right track here?

	Chris