Subject: Re: Any HD size limitations on boot disk?
To: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
From: Andrew Doran <ad@sports.gov.uk>
List: port-pmax
Date: 01/11/2000 01:50:01
On Tue, 11 Jan 2000, Simon Burge wrote:

> NetBSD Bob wrote:
>
> > What conditions or speed advantage are gained by using mfs vs no mfs?
>
> Things like compilers that use /tmp for temporary files see a gain
> because you don't have to write the temporary files out to disk.
> Softdeps will make this a little better, but using a mfs for /tmp can
> be a big win.  Because it's memory based, as soon as the mfs process
> controlling the filesystem disappears the data is lost.

I recommend this too.

If you have lots (well, a resonable amount) of memory it's also worthwhile
adding 'CFLAGS+=-pipe' to /etc/mk.conf. This will stop gcc from passing
data using temporary files. It also wins since one or more of cpp/cc1/as
can run while other(s) are blocked waiting for I/O completion. This is a
simplifcation, but oh well.

Hmm. It's probably worth making this the default for ports which generally
have 'lots' of RAM (thinking i386).