Subject: Re: Memory problems on 5000/200
To: Simon Burge <simonb@netbsd.org>
From: Michael L. Hitch <mhitch@lightning.msu.montana.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 01/10/2000 18:46:20
On Tue, 11 Jan 2000, Simon Burge wrote:

> "Michael L. Hitch" wrote:
> >   Mixing memory module sizes is not currently supported.  If a 32MB module
> > is present, each memory slot occupies 32MB, and the 8MB modules will
> > appear 4 times in the address space of each slot.
>
> ISTR that Nx32MB + 1x8MB in that last occupied slot worked on the
> 5000/2xx machines and it was the 5000/xx and 5000/1xx that had problems
> with different sized SIMMS.  Is my memory(!) going bad?

  I'm fairly sure I verified that the 8MB module was seen in the entire
32MB address space on a 5000/260 and on a 5000/200.  I guess I'll
have to test this again to be sure.  Having the 8MB module in the last
occupied slot will appear to work until the kernel starts using the last
24MB of memory, at which time strange things will happen.

  My 5000/260 has 3x32MB modules, an empty slot, and then an 8MB module.
A 'normal' kernel will just use the 95MB, but my experimental kernels will
also use the additional 8MB.

  The 5000/xx doesn't appear to support mixed memory sizes, and I think I
remember a 5000/1xx manual stating that memory modules had to be the same
size.

--
Michael L. Hitch			mhitch@montana.edu
Computer Consultant