Subject: Keyboard problems on 5000/25 and 5000/50
To: None <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: Kristian Harder <Kristian.Harder@desy.de>
List: port-pmax
Date: 01/10/2000 16:33:34
Hello and a happy new year (still)!

Has anyone heard of something like this before? I encountered some
strange keyboard problems with Personal Decstations 5000/25 and 5000/50
running NetBSD 1.4.1 with X:

After a while of running, the 'c' key goes
mad; the keyboard does recognize when I press that key, but it does not
realize that I release it again, and so I fill my active window with lots
of 'c', until I press any other key. This seems to be no hardware problem,
since it occurs on two machines which never had such problems running
their previous operating system (Ultrix). No other keys are affected.

Ok, even if I could think about trying to live with that 'c' problem,
after a while of running (several hours or so) things get even worse: Then
the CTRL key gets reverted somehow, i.e. I get control sequences without
pressing CTRL, and in order to get simple characters typed, I have to hold
the CTRL button down all the time. This is rather inconvenient...

Are there any known problems with the keyboard driver for this strange
Serial Desktop Bus the Personal DECStations are using? Sorry, I browsed
quite some time through the mailing list archive, but I could not find
anything helpful there concerning this topic.

Regards,

Kristian

   Kristian Harder
   OPAL / TESLA Hamburg Univ.