Subject: Re: which TERM for high comfort
To: Martin Stark <Martin.Stark@rz-online.de>
From: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 01/07/2000 11:37:57
> Hi!
>
> Is there anybody out there?

Yeah.... I just upgraded my pmax to the latest snap, and it feels
fine, so far, and even X works.  Kudos the the port crewe.....

> Just successfully installed pmax-port on my nice 'pmin', a
> DECStation 2100 (12 MB RAM, 200 MB HDD), and really it was a
> pleasure to see how seemless the system booted over net and
> installed itself in about 2 hours without any problems.
> Now I'm wondering which TERM I should choose in oder to get a little
> comfort in working with vi and other tools based on ncurses or
> something like that.

The 2100, even though the bottom of the pecking order, is a fine
little machine.   Fill out your ram to 24mb and add in a second
RZ24 or RZ25 or such drive, and you will have a great little play
box.

The standard term is ``sun'' which is crazy.  A sun it ain't.
But, at one time someone was supposed to put a ``pmax/pmin/something''
alias into it so it would pick up on that, as being a bit more logical.
I don't know where that went to.  If anyone knows, do tell me, too.

Try logging in as a ``sun'' terminal.

> Greetings from good old germany (Koblenz where the river Moselle and
> Rhine meet),

Guten mittag, mein freund!  Vorgeben sie mir, mein Deutsch.  Es ist
funfunddreissig jahre als ich mein Deutsch in die Hochschule gelernt.
Es ist sehr arm..... und, auf Englisch, ``fun to see how much the old
greymatters have forgotten.....''.

> Martin

Glad your pmin is functional... and again, kudos to the port crewe.....

Bob