Subject: Re: SCSI problems?
To: None <doug@umd.edu>
From: Daniel Senderowicz <daniel@synchrods.synchrods.COM>
List: port-pmax
Date: 01/04/2000 22:33:36
Doug,

	These are messages sometimes seen when the SCSI bus is a little
	flakey.  Either there is improper termination at one end of the
	bus, or the ground voltage is different.  For example, if you
	are using external devices, make sure they are plugged into the
	same power supply that the computer holding the internal devices
	is plugged into.  Also, using good quality active terminators
	makes a difference.  With a less than perfect bus, things may
	work for a while, until you ask a lot of it.  I noticed this
	problem when making tapes, where the tape drive and the disk
	were on the same bus.  Plugging them into the same power supply
	fixed my problems.

Before posting that message I did a lot of shuffling of the
hardware: cables, different hard disk, different power strip,
but since the problem didn't go away I thought that it wasn't a
hardware problem. Today after reading your posting I rolled up
my sleeves and changed the terminator (from a generic to a
DEC) and the order of connections between the CPU and the
peripherals (disks, tape) and... Magic!!!  (so far). Now it
seems OK, at least it didn't crash. Thanks a lot. Cheers,

Dan