Subject: Re: Maxtor XT-8760S 700mb drive in VS3100 or DS5000/200?
To: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
From: Chris Tribo <talon16m@hotmail.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 01/03/2000 14:20:02
on 1/3/00 1:57 PM, NetBSD Bob at nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu wrote:

> I have what appears to be a functional Maxtor XT8760S drive that has a note
> on it that the previous owner had used it with a DS5000 machine.  My problem
> is that I can't get the thing to spin up properly.  It may be nuked or it
> may have a jumper off somewhere.  Anyone have a motor-on-at-power-up jumper
> setting for this drive?  Either my VS3100 or my DS5000 gets it, if it works,
> so it might be a useful drive, assuming I can find the right settings.
> Any pointers thereto are appreciated.  Places like theref and that sort
> of url don't have any jumper settings, just the minimal specs.
>
> Thanks
>
> Bob

    I seem to remember reading that Maxtor drives of this era occasionally
had problems with "stiction" where the spindle bearings became frozen and
the drive would not spin up. If you have it plugged into your VAXstation,
simply typing show dev should spin up the HD. On your DECstation, you could
type boot 5/rzx/netbsd even if it doesn't exist, it should still spin up the
drive. If the spindle is stuck, you might try removing the wait spin jumper
(or all the jumpers if you can't find it) and rapidly power cycle the drive
with an extra power supply. (At least disconnect the other devices and the
motherboard) to see if that works. I've also heard of people tapping the
drives with a rubber mallet in such a way as to coerce the the spindle free.
I can't say I recommend that, nor opening the drive up to free it manually.
(Even though I have done it several times on older drives).

    Hope that helps.

    Chris