Subject: Re: ibus addresses [was Re: CVS commit: syssrc]
To: None <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: Toru Nishimura <nisimura@itc.aist-nara.ac.jp>
List: port-pmax
Date: 11/24/1999 12:33:58
>> And dc driver will have a following structure;
>>
>>       dc0
>>          lkkbd0
>>             wskbd0
>>          vsms0
>>             wsmouse0
>
> That doesn't work. On the 5100, channel 0 and 1 are wired to serial
> ports. The default console is on channel 0. Always hardiwring these to
> mouse/keyboard is wrong.
>
>>          dctty0
>>          dctty1
>
> Needs to be should be dctty2 and dctty3, since that's hwat they areon
> a 5100. (well, line 3 may not be available).  Even on vaxstations,
> 3100s, and /5000/200, there is a hardware dongle to use the
> `mouse'/`keyboard; ports as tty ports. The default numbering should
> take that into account, because some NetBSD users use them.

I consulted with a system note 'ULTRIX and UWS; AA-PYKCB-TE,' and learned
several things.

- 5100 backplane does not mention to how ports are numbered. The doco
  has a clear figure.
- ULTRIX had the following rule for 5100;
			chip#	line#
	/dev/console	0	0
	/dev/tty00	0	1
	/dev/tty01	0	2  DB25 w/ modem control
	/dev/tty02	0	3

	/dev/tty03	1	0
	/dev/tty04	1	1
	/dev/tty05	1	2  DB25 w/ modem control
	/dev/tty06	1	3

	/dev/tty07	2	0
	/dev/tty07	2	1
	/dev/tty07	2	2
	/dev/tty07	2	3

To keep the rule or not would be another story.

Tohru Nishimura