Subject: Re: Dump command crashes machine
To: Jamie Scuglia <jamie@cs.monash.edu.au>
From: Aaron J. Grier <agrier@poofy.goof.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 11/23/1999 10:46:28
On Mon, Nov 22, 1999 at 05:06:12PM +1100, Jamie Scuglia wrote:

> The /var/log/messages file has an error like this when we manage to
> crash the machine:
>
> Nov 22 16:20:21 savecore: reboot after panic: panic("Mem error interrupt");

Sounds like bad or loose memory...  I had some in my /240 that didn't
normally give me any problems, but as soon as I tickled it hard enough
(by compiling the world or doing some other memory-intensive process,)
my machine would reboot with the same error you're seeing.  If you can scroll
back in your logs, you'll likely see messages like "CPU memory read ECC
error at 0x04403c98" which will tell you which module needs to be
wiggled or removed.  (The output of 'cnfg 3' from the PROM prompt is
helpful here.)

> On an unrelated note, we've also had things like the following when doing
> some large file transfers via FTP:
>
> Nov 15 17:03:50  /netbsd: le0: overflow
>
> Has anyone been experiencing these problems or knows of a fix?

make sure SQE is enabled on your transceiver.

--
  Aaron J. Grier  | "Not your ordinary poofy goof." | agrier@poofy.goof.com
   "I really admire your perverse mastery of the SPARC branch delay slot,