Subject: Dump command crashes machine
To: None <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: Jamie Scuglia <jamie@cs.monash.edu.au>
List: port-pmax
Date: 11/22/1999 17:06:12
Hi,
	we have a DECstation 5000/240 in which the standard
distribution of NetBSD 1.4.1 is installed on.  One 4 Gb SCSI disk
is attached to it.

We are finding that the "dump" command can cause the machine to crash.
The "dump" command is quite important as we need to have this machine
backed up.

Sometimes when we run "dump" on a local filesystem (a decent sized
filesystem, like of 100 Mb or more), "dump" exits with a segmentation
violation.  Other times, it crashes the entire system.

The /var/log/messages file has an error like this when we manage to
crash the machine:

Nov 22 16:20:21 savecore: reboot after panic: panic("Mem error interrupt");

On an unrelated note, we've also had things like the following when doing
some large file transfers via FTP:

Nov 15 17:03:50  /netbsd: le0: overflow

Has anyone been experiencing these problems or knows of a fix?