Subject: Re: ftpd config problems?
To: Mauricio Tavares , <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: Chris Tribo <t1345@hopi.dtcc.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 11/18/1999 00:13:00
on 11/17/99 6:31 PM, Mauricio Tavares at Mauricio@proedint.com wrote:

> I tried to ftp to my dec.  This is what I am getting back:
>
>> ftp 10.0.0.12
> Connected to 10.0.0.12.
> 220 interceptor FTP server (Version: 7.1.0) ready.
> Name (10.0.0.12:raub):
> 331 Password required for raub.
> Password:
> 530 User raub may not use FTP.
> ftp: Login failed.
> Remote system type is UNIX.
> Using binary mode to transfer files.
> ftp>
>
> my /etc/ftpusers file looks like this:
>
> #       $NetBSD: ftpusers,v 1.4 1997/09/08 02:51:58 mikel Exp $
> #
> # list of users denied (or allowed) ftp access
> # read by ftpd(8).
> root    deny
> toor    deny
> uucp    deny
> *       allow
>
> I thought the last entry would take care of all other users, allowing those
> with account in the dec to ftp in.  What could be going wrong?

    I had troubles similar to this before, are you running NIS? My problem
was that I accidentally had a denied user and an allowed user set to the
same UID! Took me a while to figure that one out! Check your UID's with vipw
and make sure they are all unique, then I would check your NIS/Kerberos
configuration if you are using them.

    Chris

--
    "I use to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure..."