Subject: DECstation 5000/200: asc_get_status errors (was: ONly serial console
To: None <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: Chris Tribo <t1345@hopi.dtcc.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 11/17/1999 12:55:14

> Thanks.  This kernel does support the local console.
>
> Now, I've got a different problem: During installation, the kernel
message

>    asc_get_status: cmd reg 11, fifo cnt 3
>    rz1: Illegal request
>
> keeps showing up, and the data is not properly written to the disk.
> I searched the archives for information on this problem, but I
didn't
> find a fix -- the patches which were suggested for 1.3.2 should be
> contained in 1.4, shouldn't they?

        Hmm, like I said, I'm not running 1.4PX yet so I'm not
entirely sure.
Perhaps you need to remake your /dev files? If rz1 is indeed your
HD...
I'm a UNIX newbie, but my guess is that it could be bad SCSI
termination, bad cable, etc. Could you post up the entire boot message
output? I am assuming what you posted came right after: "Begining
old-style SCSI auto-configuration" If it is not, let me know and I'll
rethink it a bit.

        I also have an odd SCSI problem on my 5000/200, I cannot
reboot my
machine, the system hangs when it attempts to reload the Kernel. If I
power cycle the drive it works fine. I took the exact same HD (Quantum
LPS Prodrive 270) and put it in my VS 3100 and I haven't had a problem
yet, but I'm still trying to netboot it from the 5000/200.

        Chris