Subject: Q: netbooting a decstation
To: None <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: Scott Gasch <scott@mail.medsp.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 09/16/1999 23:24:00
Hi,

I am trying to netboot a DECStation 5k/25 from a FreeBSD box.  The
kernel seems to boot fine but can't find init and bails out:

nfs_boot: my_addr=0xa0a0a0a
nfs_boot: my_mask=0xff000000
root on scott.lan:/usr/local/pmax/root
WARNING: clock lost 974 days -- CHECK AND RESET THE DATE!
exec /sbin/init: error 13
init: not found
panic: no init
syncing disks... done
rebooting...

I initially thought that the NFS filesystem was not being mounted.
However I turned on verbose logging on mountd on the server and it
seems like the root filesystem is indeed being mounted.

What is going on here?  The kernel is ECOFF and userland binaries are
all ELF.  The root filesystem is from a snapshop on ftp.netbsd.org.
What kernel/tarballs should I be using?

What am I doing wrong here?  I apologize if this has been covered -- I
looked over the archives but didn't see anything relevant...

Thanks,
Scott