Subject: Re: mit-pthreads & sdd status inquiry
To: Andreas Kotes <count@flatline.de>
From: Christoph Badura <bad@oreilly.de>
List: port-pmax
Date: 09/14/1999 01:17:59
Andreas Kotes wrote:
> mysql does use mit-pthread. that's the only point. rewriting it for
> another threading system would be more work somehow, and would not allow
> the use of future versions without porting, and would not allow using
> other software that depends on mit-pthreads.

Uh, oh.  MySQL is *NOT* married to mit-pthreads.  In fact, the hacked
mit-pthreads included in the MySQL distribution is only for those
systems that don't have a better POSIX threads implementation available.
And PTL2 is a pthreads implemention.  And since it is maintained and
mit-pthreads has been rotting for years, it can't possible be worse.

> perhaps the author of PTL2 is willing to write some emulation code? ;) but
> would do no good on the performance side ...

There is no emulation code needed.  And how would you know about the
performance without testing it?  Not that I'd be overly concerned about
PTL2 being slower then mit-pthreads given that mit-pthreads doesn't work
on pmax... :-)

Anyway, mit-pthreads is on the way out of pkgsrc.

--
Christoph Badura					www.netbsd.org

	Anything that can be done in O(N) can be done in O(N^2).
	-- Ralf Schuettau (after looking at a particular piece of code)