Subject: Reassigning defective blocks on direct SCSI devices
To: None <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: Andreas Kotes <count@flatline.de>
List: port-pmax
Date: 08/29/1999 18:21:34
Hi!

I wasn't able to reassign defective blocks via scsictl on NetBSD 1.4 ..
it's either not acting like manpage says, or I'm using the wrong device
(tried /dev/rz4 rz4c rrz4 rrz4c ..) ...

ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/misc/quick-hacks/sdremap doesn't compile
due to missing include files or me being stupid (hm. REASSIGN_BLOCKS isn't
defined anywhere, but quite vital) ..

So I end up with 4 questions:
 - is there a program that scans for bad blocks an remaps them?
 - how can I remap bad blocks if not by the methods I tried?
 - can't this be done automagically? :)
 - can I redirect the Media error message to anything else but
   the serial console? I'll loose console access to my system soon

Thanx for any hints ...

   Count

--
  -= Andreas Kotes - mailto:count@flatline.de - Questions? Just ask =-
 -= Micro$oft has a Year 2000 problem. I am part of it. I use Linux. =-