Subject: Re: X Question
To: Toru Nishimura <nisimura@itc.aist-nara.ac.jp>
From: Andy Doran <ad@netbsd.org>
List: port-pmax
Date: 08/23/1999 09:37:14
Toru Nishimura wrote:

> > I have a 5000/125 running 1.4, with PMAG-A graphics. The system
> > runs fine except all my X apps think they're running in color. So, for
> > example, the buttons in Netscape and Xemacs are all black. When BSD boots
> > it says the display is 1280x1024x8, which implies 8-bit, which is wrong.

1280x1024x8 - that shouldn't really be, but it's not the cause of the
problem.

> That's the side effect of the interresting design found in PMAG-A.  It
> has every 1 pixel in every byte.  LSB takes effects on screen leaving
> remaining 7bit as NOP.
>
> I guess Andy would provide the solution.

The problem is being able to write 8bpp but still advertise 1bpp
colormap and pixmap depths. Everything I did in the way of code
changes seemed to either write 1bpp or make the Xserver coredump.

We need the advice of an X hacker.

- ad