Subject: MOP booting Decstation 3100 from VMS cluster server?
To: None <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: Geoff Roberts <geoffrob@stmarks.pp.catholic.edu.au>
List: port-pmax
Date: 08/18/1999 12:52:58
Hi all,

I have a Decstation 3100 with RZ24E that I'd like to throw netbsd pmax onto.
Unfortunately, it has the 7.01 Rom that seems not to like TFTP boots.
(I'm getting FNF errors, the boot image seems to be about 3.5mb (7000 blocks
in VMS speak), so I'm interpreting this as the
won't boot bigger than 1mb files problem.)
I don't have anything else running unix here, the BOOTP/TFTP/NFS server is a
Vax 6000 running VMS 6.0 and
Multinet 3.2 Rev B.  This is a cluster server, so am wondering if it's
possible for a MOP boot to work. I know it can be done from
an Ultrix box, but not sure about VMS and it's rather different file system.

FWIW, here are the details of the VMS setup.
Assumptions are that the TFTP server is set up correctly.   BOOTP seems to
get it's IP address and the Server ip address ok,
though I'm less sure about the file name.  Multinet's
BOOTP-SERVER.CONFIGURATION is as follows

# MULTINET:BOOTP-SERVER.CONFIGURATION database for bootp server
# Blank lines and lines beginning with '#' are ignored.
#
# Legend:
#
#       first field -- hostname
#                       (may be full domain name and probably should be)
#
#       hd -- home directory
#       bf -- bootfile
#       cs -- cookie servers
#       ds -- domain name servers
#       gw -- gateways
#       ha -- hardware address
#       ht -- hardware type
#       im -- impress servers
#       ip -- host IP address
#       lg -- log servers
#       lp -- LPR servers
#       ns -- IEN-116 name servers
#       rl -- resource location protocol servers
#       sm -- subnet mask
#       tc -- template host (points to similar host entry)
#       to -- time offset (seconds)
#       ts -- time servers
#
# Be careful about including backslashes where they're needed.  Weird (bad)
# things can happen when a backslash is omitted where one is intended.
#
FREYA.STMARKS.PP.CATHOLIC.EDU.AU:\
:ht=ethernet:\
:hd="NETDISK:[NETBOOT]":\
:ha=08002b163ebc:\
:ip=203.103.44.197:\
:sm=255.255.255.224:\
:ds=203.12.176.130:\
:bf="install":\
:gw=203.103.44.193:\
:ts=203.12.176.130:\
:to=-34200:
#

The directory exists and the install kernel is there with the right
permissions, (AFAIK)

Directory NETDISK:[NETBOOT]
INSTALL.;1              7000/7002     17-AUG-1999 19:03:23.53
(RWED,RWED,RE,RE)

The tftp.filename-translations file is as follows:

#
#TFTP File & Directory Mapping
#
#
#
#
/HUBS         NETDISK:[HUBS]
/install       netdisk:[netboot]install
#

I've also tried it blank, ie without any translations.

Any assistance most welcome....

Cheers

Geoff Roberts
Computer Systems Manager