Subject: Re: netbooting 5000/120 problems
To: Phife <aca3@MIT.EDU>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@netbsd.org>
List: port-pmax
Date: 08/13/1999 22:33:30
Phife wrote:

> I'm having some problems with the configuration of my bootp/tftp/nfs server.
> I'm not quite sure what the nature of the problems are. Could someone who is
> nebooting a 5000/120 or similar machine please send me a copy of the relevant
> portions of your config files (i.e.: /etc/bootptab, /etc/exports,
> /etc/bootparams, etc.). I'm sure mine aren't configured correctly. I would be
> very appreciative.

I use a machine-generated bootptab - the relevent bits are:

	.default:\
		:hn:\
		:ht=ether:\
		:nt=timehost:\
		:dn="supp.cpr.itg.telecom.com.au":\
		:ds=dnsquery bindmaster:\
		:to=auto:
	.172_73_42_0:\
		:tc=.default:\
		:sm=255.255.255.0:\
		:gw=172.73.42.1:\
		:sa=172.73.42.42:
	mona:\
		:ha=08.00.2b.33.ee.92:\
		:tc=.172_73_42_0:bf=netbsd/mona:rp=/dlboot0/mona.root:

"timehost", "dnsquery" and "bindmaster" are all CNAMEs to relevent
machines.  The ECOFF kernel is /tftpboot/netbsd/mona, and tftpd (on an
Ultrix box) is started with "tftpd -r /tftpboot" in /etc/inetd.conf.
The root NFS client directory is /dlboot0/mona.root.  A simpler example
from the 1.4.1 INSTALL notes is:

	myhost.mydom.com:\
		:ht=ethernet:ha=08002b123456:\
		:ip=192.168.1.2:sm=255.255.255.0:\
		:sa=192.168.1.1:bf=install:\
		:rp=/usr/export/pmax:

Have you considered using dhcp?  It seems to be the way of the future...
For /etc/exports (on a NetBSD box), you'd probably want something like:

	/usr/export/pmax -maproot=root myhost.mydom.com

My NFS server is an Ultrix box, so I haven't tested the above line :-)

Simon.