Subject: DS5000/240 vs DS5000/125?
To: NetBSD/pmax Discussion List <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: Paul Mather <paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 08/11/1999 17:12:30
Which would be the better machine to use: a DECstation 5000/240 with
24MB RAM or a DECstation 5000/125 with 128MB RAM?  The machine is used
mostly as a WWW and PPP server, and the WWW server doesn't get a lot of
traffic.  The machine would almost certainly run headless in its final
configuration.

I'm thinking the extra RAM would be handy for a larger buffer cache,
causing less disc I/O, swapping, etc.  However, the CPU and TC bus is
slower in the 5000/125.  (And, I can mount the drives internally in the
5000/125, reducing its overall footprint.)

Any thoughts on which of the two systems I should use?  Are there any
other pros and cons I should know about?

Cheers,

Paul.

e-mail: paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu

"I don't live today; maybe tomorrow..."