Subject: Re: More questions
To: Mauricio Tavares <Mauricio@proedint.com>
From: Paul Mather <paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 08/10/1999 18:05:36
On Tue, 10 Aug 1999, Mauricio Tavares wrote:

=> 	Here are a few more questions regarding my machine.  Remember that I do
=> not know much about it yet =)
=>
=> o I would like to set up PPP in my DEC.  What do I need to do and download?

You need "pppd" and, if you're going to be dialling up another PPP
server, you also need "chat".  Rather handily, both of these come with
NetBSD.  You also need to make sure your kernel is compiled with at
least one "ppp" pseudo device enabled (i.e., "pseudo-device ppp 1" in
the kernel config file).  I believe the generic kernel defaults to two
PPP interfaces.

Of all the systems upon which I've set up PPP, I consider NetBSD to have
been the easiest, and the most full-featured (e.g., it supports demand
dialing).

See man pppd and man chat for details.  I have an entry for my "ISP" in
/etc/ppp/peers, and include it in `ppp_peers="..."' in /etc/rc.conf.

Cheers,

Paul.

e-mail: paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu

"I don't live today; maybe tomorrow..."