Subject: Re: 1.4 problems with kernel config and pmap_set
To: Bill Sommerfeld <sommerfeld@orchard.arlington.ma.us>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-pmax
Date: 08/03/1999 19:42:14
Uh, oh.  kernels really should build without RCONS. I guess the last
batch of trying to merge the pmax scc with the Alpha scc busted that.
Still, if you dont acutally have an rcons device as console, the
`pseudo-device' never attaches, and so memory consumed should be small.
It should be fixed, though.

>> Aug  3 20:32:11 elmyra inetd[135]: pmap_set: 100002 2 17 65531: No message
>> of desired type
>
>Are you running portmap?
>
>If not, comment out the rpc services in inetd.conf and restart inetd.
>
>(The error message could be better here; I've opened a PR on this..)

I saw somethig nlike this once, possibly when I didnt have the
modem-control leads wired up correctly. (A BCC08 plus a PC-style
9-to-25 converter).  But IIANM, the reason portmap wasn't starting
properly did have to do with not being to open the console.

i agree the message from inetd could be better, but the root cause may
still be console weirdness.