Subject: Re: Large disk on a DecStation 5000/120
To: Eric Corwin <ecorwin@fas.harvard.edu>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-pmax
Date: 07/21/1999 17:15:51
In message <199907220007.UAA28676@ice1.fas.harvard.edu>,
Eric Corwin writes:
>Hi,
>I'm about to get a large (~9 gig) disk to put in the decstation and I was
>wondering if there are any features to look for/avoid in order to get it working
>with the hardware and with netbsd.  Am I correct in believing that I can just
>put a commodity scsi-2 disk in the machine and have it function without
>problems?  Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated.

Yes. I have a 5000/150 (same motherboard, r4000 CPU) with a 4.5-gig
IBM oem-version commodity drive. Works great.
Built several releases on it, in fact.

If you plan to mount the drive internally (inside the cpu cabinet) it
may pay to look for a drive which can be set to defer spinup until it
gets a SCSI IDENTIFY command or an explicit spinup. That keeps the
power-supply in the case marginally happier -- especially if you have
more than one internal drive.  Other than that, any old thing should
work.  The netbsd/pmax scsi code is even robust enough to handle some
pre-scsi-2 drives.