Subject: Two-stage netboot
To: None <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: Gregory McGarry <g.mcgarry@qut.edu.au>
List: port-pmax
Date: 06/28/1999 09:17:17
The last discussion about the two stage netboot, mentioned that
the netboot file has to determine the root filesystems to load
the kernel from.  The PROM should have this information from
its bootp query.  I cannot find its location in any documentation.

I assumed that the PROMs utilise the first 192kB of RAM for its
scratch area and did a search through this memory block for
any indication.  I did this on a maxine.

Well, the PROM does use a network buffer in this area, and I did
find a record for the bootfile, but it doesn't look like the
the root filesystem is recorded.

I don't think the details are useful, but I can supply them if
you want.

I just don't like the idea of doing three bootp broadcasts to
netboot a kernel.

Regards,
Greg