Subject: Re: NetBSD/pmax 1.4 Xpmax on monochrome DS3100
To: Simon Burge <simonb@netbsd.org>
From: Andy Doran <ad@fionn.sports.gov.uk>
List: port-pmax
Date: 06/23/1999 09:56:49
Simon Burge wrote:

> I'll start,

Yay!

> First thing, in pmax_io.c, we use mfbScreenInit() for a PMAX_FBTYPE_PM_MONO,
> but cfbScreenInit() for a PMAX_FBTYPE_MFB.  The 3100 uses "pm" and
> the PMAG-A is a "mfb", and we know (I think?) that the mfb works and
> the pm doesn't.  Am I allowed to be confused about this?

Yes, be confused :). The mono 'pm' will work just fine with
mfbScreenInit(). The hassle is that the 'mfb' is mono but uses
8 bits per pixel (only 1 bit is significant). cfbScreenInit()
was there from an attempt to force the cfb stuff to operate
as mono, since it's 8bpp. I don't know if all the code was
committed to xsrc, but suffice it to say it Does Not Work.

> If this is all right, then I take it we just want a
>
>         pScreen->blackPixel = 0;
>         pScreen->whitePixel = 1;
>
> just before the calls to mfbScreenInit()?

Em... yes, I think that's the right place.

> With the pixmaps, would it be a case if only setting numPixmapFormats
> to 1 for an mono board (easy because the 1-bit pixmap is first in the
> pixmap list).

Yes, that sounds reasonable for our current setup. BTW, did you ever
make any progress on multi-screen support?

Once again, cheers Simon :).

- ad