Subject: NetBSD/pmax 1.4 Xpmax on monochrome DS3100
To: NetBSD/pmax Discussion List <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: Paul Mather <paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 06/21/1999 16:08:59
Fairly recently, I did a fresh install of NetBSD/pmax 1.4 on my
DECstation 3100 (which previously was running 1.3.1).  The first thing I
noticed was that Xpmax behaves differently than the Xmfbpmax I ran under
1.3.  On my monochrome framebuffer, Xpmax appears to threshold
everything to either black or white, whereas Xmfbpmax gave the illusion
of greyscale.  This makes Xpmax somewhat hard to use (to put it
mildly:): e.g., unless I do "xterm -fg black -bg white" I can't see any
text at all in an xterm.  Also, exiting from xsm is almost impossible,
as I can't see the menu options at all on the shutdown menu.

In the meantime, I've ftp'd and restored Xmfbpmax from the 1.3.3
release, and am using that w/xfs, but I was wondering if anyone has
managed to use Xpmax on their DS3100 and have it act the same (visually)
as the Xserver under 1.3?

Here is the output of xdpyinfo under Xpmax:

-----------------------
name of display:    :0.0
version number:    11.0
vendor string:    X Consortium
vendor release number:    6300
maximum request size:  4194300 bytes
motion buffer size:  100
bitmap unit, bit order, padding:    32, LSBFirst, 32
image byte order:    LSBFirst
number of supported pixmap formats:    2
supported pixmap formats:
    depth 1, bits_per_pixel 1, scanline_pad 32
    depth 8, bits_per_pixel 8, scanline_pad 32
keycode range:    minimum 86, maximum 251
focus:  window 0x1c0000e, revert to PointerRoot
number of extensions:    14
    BIG-REQUESTS
    DOUBLE-BUFFER
    LBX
    MIT-SHM
    MIT-SUNDRY-NONSTANDARD
    RECORD
    SECURITY
    SHAPE
    SYNC
    XC-APPGROUP
    XC-MISC
    XIE
    XKEYBOARD
    XTEST
default screen number:    0
number of screens:    1

screen #0:
  dimensions:    1024x864 pixels (260x219 millimeters)
  resolution:    100x100 dots per inch
  depths (1):    1
  root window id:    0x24
  depth of root window:    1 plane
  number of colormaps:    minimum 1, maximum 1
  default colormap:    0x21
  default number of colormap cells:    2
  preallocated pixels:    black 0, white 0
  largest cursor:    1024x864
  current input event mask:    0xd0001d
    KeyPressMask             ButtonPressMask          ButtonReleaseMask
    EnterWindowMask          SubstructureRedirectMask PropertyChangeMask
    ColormapChangeMask
  number of visuals:    1
  default visual id:  0x20
  visual:
    visual id:    0x20
    class:    StaticGray
    depth:    1 plane
    available colormap entries:    2
    red, green, blue masks:    0x0, 0x0, 0x0
    significant bits in color specification:    1 bits
-----------------------

Here is the output of xdpyinfo under Xmfbpmax:

-----------------------
name of display:    :0.0
version number:    11.0
vendor string:    MIT X Consortium
vendor release number:    5000
maximum request size:  262140 bytes
motion buffer size:  100
bitmap unit, bit order, padding:    32, LSBFirst, 32
image byte order:    LSBFirst
number of supported pixmap formats:    1
supported pixmap formats:
    depth 1, bits_per_pixel 1, scanline_pad 32
keycode range:    minimum 86, maximum 251
focus:  window 0x140000e, revert to PointerRoot
number of extensions:    4
    MIT-SHM
    MIT-SUNDRY-NONSTANDARD
    Multi-Buffering
    SHAPE
default screen number:    0
number of screens:    1

screen #0:
  dimensions:    1024x864 pixels (333x281 millimeters)
  resolution:    78x78 dots per inch
  depths (1):    1
  root window id:    0x23
  depth of root window:    1 plane
  number of colormaps:    minimum 1, maximum 1
  default colormap:    0x21
  default number of colormap cells:    2
  preallocated pixels:    black 0, white 1
  largest cursor:    unlimited
  current input event mask:    0xd0001d
    KeyPressMask             ButtonPressMask          ButtonReleaseMask
    EnterWindowMask          SubstructureRedirectMask PropertyChangeMask
    ColormapChangeMask
  number of visuals:    1
  default visual id:  0x20
  visual:
    visual id:    0x20
    class:    StaticGray
    depth:    1 plane
    available colormap entries:    2
    red, green, blue masks:    0x0, 0x0, 0x0
    significant bits in color specification:    1 bits
-----------------------

And, here is a diff of Xpmax and Xmfbpmax (the above two output files):

-----------------------
3,5c3,5
< vendor string:    X Consortium
< vendor release number:    6300
< maximum request size:  4194300 bytes
---
> vendor string:    MIT X Consortium
> vendor release number:    5000
> maximum request size:  262140 bytes
9c9
< number of supported pixmap formats:    2
---
> number of supported pixmap formats:    1
12d11
<     depth 8, bits_per_pixel 8, scanline_pad 32
14,18c13,14
< focus:  window 0x1c0000e, revert to PointerRoot
< number of extensions:    14
<     BIG-REQUESTS
<     DOUBLE-BUFFER
<     LBX
---
> focus:  window 0x140000e, revert to PointerRoot
> number of extensions:    4
21,22c17
<     RECORD
<     SECURITY
---
>     Multi-Buffering
24,29d18
<     SYNC
<     XC-APPGROUP
<     XC-MISC
<     XIE
<     XKEYBOARD
<     XTEST
34,35c23,24
<   dimensions:    1024x864 pixels (260x219 millimeters)
<   resolution:    100x100 dots per inch
---
>   dimensions:    1024x864 pixels (333x281 millimeters)
>   resolution:    78x78 dots per inch
37c26
<   root window id:    0x24
---
>   root window id:    0x23
42c31
<   preallocated pixels:    black 0, white 0
---
>   preallocated pixels:    black 0, white 1
44c33
<   largest cursor:    1024x864
---
>   largest cursor:    unlimited

BTW, what is the Xprt server that comes in xserver.tgz under 1.4?  I
must have missed something, but I couldn't find any reference to it.

Cheers,

Paul.

e-mail: paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu

"I don't live today; maybe tomorrow..."