Subject: Re: 1.4 px install tools problem
To: pretty fly <t0c@home.com>
From: emanuel stiebler <emu@ecubics.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 06/20/1999 08:53:41
-----Original Message-----
From: pretty fly <t0c@home.com>
To: port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>; simonb@NetBSD.ORG
<simonb@NetBSD.ORG>
Date: Saturday, June 19, 1999 9:37 PM
Subject: 1.4 px install tools problem

>Hi people,
>
>I am having a problem installing with the 1.4+px install kernel.
>
>The thing keeps locking up on me at various stages of the install.
>I tried taking the cover off the case and setting a box fan on top of
>it (in case it was overheating),

I don't think that's the problem ...

> removed the FDDI controller, to no avail.

>I'm not quite sure if the machine works, however on one of the drives
>is an Ultrix install diskimage and I have left the thing sitting for
>hours at the shell prompt with no problems.  Boot monitor too.  But with
>NetBSD it's locking up repeatedly anywhere from the end of the tftp
>transfer to "Making devices..."

Check some things:

Do you have a weird memory configuration ? (Mixed 4,8,32 MByte modules)
How much memory you have ?

You transported the box lately ?

You have the SCSI-bus terminated ?

Check if memory & cpu card are sitting well in the sockets ...

>I have not been able to make the serial console work on a PC or AT&T 705
>terminal.  Have tried various cable configurations, have successfully
>gotten serial console to work on other machines (3B2 and Aviion) so i am
>thinking there may indeed be a problem with my machine.

You know that the serial port #3 is the port you should use ?

You know, that the Graphic card is used as a console, until you say (via
setenv console=s, better check your manual on that !!!) that you want to
have a serial console ?

Hope it helps,
emanuel