Subject: Re: PMAG-DA xserver source
To: None <mark.rewis@lmco.com>
From: Andy Doran <ad@fionn.sports.gov.uk>
List: port-pmax
Date: 06/08/1999 14:32:09
I will release the source tonight. I have the flu right now and
I'm a little delirious so forgive me if this doesn't all make
sense. Current issues:

	o Interrupt based queuing and hardware clipping doesn't
	  work with PXG (PMAG-D). This is basically because we
	  don't understand enough about how the i860 fits into
	  the card's scheme of things. Basically: right now,
	  Xpxpmax only "works" with the PMAG-C.

	o The server is buggy and coredumps a lot.

	o The server needs to move from a hacked 'cfb'
	  layer to a full, home grown 'px' layer. If it doesn't,
	  performance will remain __horrible__.

	o For queuing to work properly, an allocation
	  scheme for image buffers needs to be devised, whereby
	  certain buffers are locked until the server is confident
	  that they are completed. If this doesn't happen, the
	  queuing is basically useless.

If I can crack the i860 problem through Yet More reverse engineering
and hacking, maybe then queuing can work on the PXG. In the meantime,
you're free to give it a bash :).

- ad