Subject: Re: SCSI Controller ID?
To: None <cjn@isd.se>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@netbsd.org>
List: port-pmax
Date: 06/07/1999 22:07:30
"Christian Johansson" wrote:

> This may seem like a strange question...
>
> Can one change the SCSI ID of the built in SCSI controller in a
> DECstation 5000/20?

Everything except the 2100 and 3100 use ID 7 for the host.  The 2100 and
3100 use SCSI ID 6.

On a 5000/240, a "printenv" at the PROM prompt shows scsiid3=7, where
the 3 is (guessing) the slot number.  This is the motherboard "slot".
When this machine boots, it also shows the message:

	asc0 at ioasic0 offset 0x300000: target 7

I wouldn't expect a 5000/20 to be too much different.  Likewise a 3100
has "scsiid0=6" in its PROM environtment variables.  Hmm, it doesn't
show the host ID when it's booting though - I'll look into fixing that.

It should be possible to change the host SCSI ID if you really want to.
Indeed, the 2100s and 3100s used to boot with host SCSI id 6 (while the
PROM routines were active) and then NetBSD would use host id 7...

Simon.