Subject: Re: root account inaccessable
To: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@most.weird.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 06/02/1999 23:30:06
[ On Wednesday, June 2, 1999 at 18:21:08 (-0700), David Brownlee wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: root account inaccessable
>
> 	I've just updated the FAQ entry on single user mode - it will show
> 	up shortly under
> 	http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/misc/index.html#why-single-user
> 	but in the meantime I'll include it here - let me know if you have
> 	any questions/comments!

There's one somewhat subtle bug in your document -- when you "shutdown"
into single user mode the system is *not* in the same mode as when you
'boot -s'.  The only thing that happens is that non-critical processes
are killed and 'init' is put into the mode where it starts only the
single-user shell on the console.  Filesystems are *not* unmounted and
the root filesystem is *not* mounted read-only.  This could be
attempted, in post 1.4 systems, by writing the appropriate commands in
the script /etc/rc.shutdown.local, but it currently does not happen by
default.

--
							Greg A. Woods