Subject: Re: Some hardware questions ..
To: None <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: Toru Nishimura <nisimura@itc.aist-nara.ac.jp>
List: port-pmax
Date: 06/02/1999 14:02:09
> - Can I use the usual PS/2-SIMMs in a Personal DECstation 5000/25 or
>   DECstation 5000/125? If so, would I need FPM-RAMs or would EDO work
>   also?

It's 80pin partitied SIMM.  You also might have 33MHz CPU module.
Performance gain is noticiable.  The most cost effective way to obtain
DECstation parts is to call surplus in port-pmax@netbsd.org.  I've
shipped many to abroad and received equally many from kind guys
abroad.

In April I found two companys selling Digital computers/parts.

        Great Lakes Computer (www.glcomp.com)
        NEXL (www.usedec.com)

Suporadorically, onsale.com lists Digitals, also.

40MB limitation of MAXINE is not so bad as sounds.  Thanks for dynamic
linker, memory saving is quite impressive compared to
all-the-static-world of Ultrix.  W/o Xserver, 40MB MAXINE has never
made any swap condition even when "make -j 2 'CC=cc -pipe' netbsd" is
run.

> - Which card is better perfomance-wise?
>    - PMAG-CA (PX) (supported with NetBSD-current only)
>    - PMAGB-B (CX,CFB,HX or SFB, dunno? don't yet know if its supported)

I think the latter if 2D graphic acceleration logic is fully utilized.
Xserver is known 'the memory band width fogger' than raw graphics
rendering horsepower of rectangles and polylines.  PX was not designed
for X (pre-X age product), HX was specifically designed to accelerate
heavily used X primitives.  And, it's very interesting to see that
PMAG-DV (MAXINE builtin nonaccelerated 1024x768) draws faster than
(not-yet accelerated) HX, partly due to smaller displaying size AND
Maxine's half clocked (12.5MHz) TURBOchannel interconnect.

I think I've once read the explaination about why Ultrix PX Xserver
runs hediously slow in ULTRIX FAQ, but it's not at hand this moment.

Tohru Nishimura
Nara Institute of Science and Technology