Subject: Re: root account inaccessable
To: Brad <bnh@dimension6.com>
From: Andy Doran <ad@fionn.sports.gov.uk>
List: port-pmax
Date: 06/01/1999 09:40:22
Brad,
do NOT send HTML mail to this list. Most people will not be
able to read it, and will not appreciate getting it in their
mailbox. With regards to logging in as root over telnet, yes,
you can get around that, but it's not something you should be
doing in the first place. Create an ordinary user account then
use the su(1) command.

> Brad wrote:
>
> Hello, ihave a DECstation 5000/120 that I bought from my University.
> it came installed with netBSD 1.3.1, and just the root account setup
> with no password. I've been playing with it for awhile, nd now that
> i've tried setting it up on my network, (a cablemodem, linux box and a
> windows box) when i try to login as root it asks me for a password,
> which i've never set. does anyone know how i can get past this or
> possibly netboot using the linux box so i can do a network install of
> netBSD to clear this up?

[...]

> May 30 16:57:36 netmachine /netbsd: scc0,1: silo overflow
>
> does anyone know what this is and is it possibly related?

Upgrading to 1.4 may help, I don't know...

- ad