Subject: 1.3.3 binaries don't work with 1.4 beta
To: None <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: Reinhold Huber <rhuber@fs.tum.de>
List: port-pmax
Date: 04/23/1999 11:45:01
Hi,

I've installed NetBSD 1.4 beta on a 5000/125. Then I mounted the
/usr/local software, which was compiled for 1.3.3, via NFS.
Any command from these I tried, ended with:

/usr/local/bin/bash: Exec format error. Wrong architecture.

(file name is exchangeable).

The only difference in the output of the file command between /bin/ls
and /usr/local/bin/bash is: The "local" things are not stripped, but with
shared libs (at least those I looked at).

This is the same with a custom-compiled kernel of 21st April -current,
except that there is an additional error for binaries of files which are
not readable purposefully.
In this one, COMPAT_10 incl. COMPAT_13 are enabled.

I suspect two things:
- The kernel doesn't like the format of the 1.3.3 files
- It insists that NFS-mounted binaries should be readable.

Is this behavior intentional?
Can I do something about it which I overlooked up to now?

My installation of 4 pmaxen depends on being able to execute these
binaries.

Greetings,
Reinhold Huber