Subject: Re: PMAG-CA - kernel? [again] (fwd)
To: Marc Gutschner <Marc.Gutschner@Frankfurt.NetSurf.DE>
From: Andy Doran <ad@psn.ie>
List: port-pmax
Date: 04/10/1999 00:46:17
> Mhmmm, now I'm starting to get confused... I have what appears to be
> two different variations of a PXG, that get identified by Ultrix as
> PMAG-DAs. If I do a 'cnfg' at the Chevron, in the first half of the
> line it says PMAG-DA, as I would expect. But in the 'detail' section
> one says "PMAGB-EA" and the other simply says "EA"... Now if I try to
> boot the ECOFF kernel from the above source, if the DSIMMs (Z-Buffer?)
> are installed, I get kind of diagonal dashed lines across the screen
> and the cursor sits in the bottom left corner of the screen. If I take
> out the
This is what happens after you reset the STIC and before you send the
first packet after the reset.

> DSIMMs, the kernel seems to load and prints 1 or 2 lines of text before
> the screen goes blank and the cursor is in the bottom left corner and is
> blinking... Now, are my boards PMAG-Ds or PMAGB-EAs ? I mean, my monitor
> tells me that the board is doing 1280x1024@66Hz - if it really were a
> PMAGB-EA it should be 1280x1024@72Hz, right?
They'd appear to be PMAG-D's, but I don't know about the frequency. I know
why the cursor would do that - the PMAG-CA does the same until it gets
some interrupts. The reason it's hanging appears to be due to bad STIC DMA
interactions with the 3D coprocessor. I thought it might be possible to
get away without disabling the copro, but it appears not... Ugh, I'll look
into this. Thanks,

Andy.