Subject: Re: no symbols found for 1.4_ALPHA?
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@telstra.com.au>
List: port-pmax
Date: 04/05/1999 11:22:36
Jonathan Stone wrote:

> >-current and 1.4 a.out _should_ be backwards compatilble with previous
> >bootblocks.  ELF will only work with bootinfo capable bootblocks (ie
> >about 25th March).  Can you try either -current or 1.4 ALPHA bootblocks?
> >The official line will be that you need these for 1.4 anyways (and
> >_will_ need them to disk boot a RAMDISK kernel).
>
> I was using bootblocks from around March 15, which can boot a RAMDISK
> kernel. With those, the 1.4_ALPHA kernel doesn't find symbols, but the
> 1.3K kernel (from March 7) does.

The higher load address of the first stage went in on 22nd February, but
that was still old bootblock code.

> Could it be that 1.4_ALPHA needs the bootinfo to find symbols even for
> a.out and `old' (read: mid_march 1999, next-to-last w/out /boot) bootblocks?

The code is in there, but I was thinking of garbage collecting it at
one stage.  Look around line 287 of sys/arch/pmax/pmax/machdep.c for
details.  I can't remember the last time I tested it, but I don't think
I've changed machdep.c since then...

Simon.