Subject: Re: no symbols found for 1.4_ALPHA?
To: Simon Burge <simonb@telstra.com.au>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-pmax
Date: 04/04/1999 16:31:06
>-current and 1.4 a.out _should_ be backwards compatilble with previous
>bootblocks.  ELF will only work with bootinfo capable bootblocks (ie
>about 25th March).  Can you try either -current or 1.4 ALPHA bootblocks?
>The official line will be that you need these for 1.4 anyways (and
>_will_ need them to disk boot a RAMDISK kernel).

I was using bootblocks from around March 15, which can boot a RAMDISK
kernel. With those, the 1.4_ALPHA kernel doesn't find symbols, but the
1.3K kernel (from March 7) does.

Could it be that 1.4_ALPHA needs the bootinfo to find symbols even for
a.out and `old' (read: mid_march 1999, next-to-last w/out /boot) bootblocks?