Subject: Re: net-booting my dec 5000/200
To: Pedro G. Gonnet <pgonnet@iiic.ethz.ch>
From: Douglas S. Meade <doug@inforum2.umd.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 03/31/1999 14:08:03
Pedro,

It would help to start up tcpdump in another Linux console:
  tcpdump host <serverip> or host <clientip>
and then see if you see a message which gives you a clue as to what's
going wrong.

Make sure you have set up the tftp directory with the proper kernel,
and that the client machine has rights to access tftp, as specified in
hosts.allow, and the the tftp daemon is in fact told to run, in
inetd.conf.  Sometimes it might help to try a different kernel, or
to try issueing the same command several times.  I had an experience
with my DECStation 3100 that it gave "access violation" on the first
try, but on the second try, was able to boot nfsnetbsd.ecoff.  This
is strange, but now I know it might do this, I'm prepared.

I also found that it helps to explicitly run arp to identify the
possible clients to the server.  Here is my script for setting up the
server:

#!/bin/sh
#  tryboot - try to remote boot the decstation 5000
#    .... or Decstation 3100 ?
#  add entry to arp cache
arp -s 128.8.56.110  08002b2fcef0
arp -s 128.8.56.118  08002b0dc375
arp -a
#  start bootparam daemon
/usr/sbin/rpc.bootparamd -d &
#  after giving the bootpd command, go to the Personal Decstation and type
#    "boot 3/tftp"
#  or to DECStation 3100 and type "boot -f tftp()"
bootpd -d8

My /etc/bootptab is:

# First, define a global entry which specifies the stuff
# every host uses.
ralph.umd.edu:\
       ht=ethernet:\
       ha=08002b0dc375:\
       ip=128.8.56.118:\
       sm=255.255.255.0:\
       sa=128.8.56.83:\
       td=/tftpboot:\
       hd=/:\
       bf=nfsnetbsd.ecoff:\
       bs=auto:\
       rp=/usr/export/client/root:

Even though you have a kernel specified in the bf option, it sometimes
helps to type it explicitly, i.e.,

boot 6/tftp/nfsnetbsd.ecoff

Hope this helps,

Doug