Subject: Re: New bootblocks available for testing
To: Simon Burge <simonb@telstra.com.au>
From: Erik Bertelsen <erik@mediator.uni-c.dk>
List: port-pmax
Date: 03/29/1999 18:28:10
I tried the new bootblocks on a DS5000/133. The seem to be mostly working, and
in fact after trying on a scratch disk, the machine is now running with the
new boot blocks installed on the primary boot disk.

The word "mostly" above refers to the fact that the bootblocks seem to have overwritten
some font memory or something like that. The result is that printouts from the kernel
in the font used by the boot ROM have mangled character images for some of the digits
(2-8 I think). This affects some of the kernel printouts (incl. the "rotating" size
indications while loading the kernel) as well as output from the ROM booter when
returning to the boot command prompt (i.e. KN02 is printed as KN0x, where x is a
totally garbled character image).

I have used it to boot aout and ELF kernels successfully.

If it makes any difference, I have built the boot blocks myself.

- Erik Bertelsen