Subject: Re: X11 setup problem on 2100.
To: None <charlie25@my-dejanews.com>
From: maximum entropy <entropy@zippy.bernstein.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 03/28/1999 17:23:50
>Date: Sun, 28 Mar 1999 13:38:21 -0800
>From: "Charles Redmond" <charlie25@my-dejanews.com>
>
>Issue 2. Setting up X11 and xdm
>I have read the file /usr/X11R6/bin/README.pmax
>and followed the directions within. I can now get X to
>start using the startx command, BUT I can't get an xdm
>login to come up when booting.. I have run the script at the bottom of the /usr/X11R6/bin/README.pmax file as
>space was not an issue. I cannot find any errors in
>/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/xdm-errors.
>A ps -ax finds both the xfs server and xdm running.

To get "startx" working on a freshly installed NetBSD/pmax-1.3.3, I
did the following steps:

1.  Make a link to the approprate X server.  E.g. on a 3100:
	cd /usr/X11R6/bin ; rm -f X ; ln -s Xmfbpmax X
2.  Edit /usr/X11R6/bin/startx.  Change the line that calls xinit to
look like this:
xinit $clientargs -- $serverargs -fp tcp/localhost:7100
3.  Edit /etc/rc.  Change the line that starts xfs so that it looks
like this:
        echo -n ' xfs';                 set -m ; xfs $xfs_flags & set +m

4.  Edit /etc/rc.conf.  Set the value for xfs to YES.
5.  Reboot.

To set up xdm, I did the following additional steps:

1.  Edit /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xservers.  Add this line at the
bottom:
:0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X -fp tcp/localhost:7100

2.  Edit /etc/rc.conf.  Set the values for xdm to YES.

3.  Reboot.

I like to run xconsole to keep the display from getting mangled by
scrolling console output.  To allow xconsole to work as non-root
users:

1.  cd /usr/X11R6/bin ; chown root.wheel xconsole ; chmod 4555 xconsole

>Issue 3. No where in the install document can I find
>what to put in the prom to force the box into multi-user mode automatically. On my 5000/25 I use
>boot 3/rz0/netbsd -a however a boot rz(0,0,0)netbsd -a
>does not work on the 2100.

On 2100/3100 systems, there are two different commands to boot the
system.  "boot" and "auto".  "boot" goes to single user, and "auto"
goes multiuser.  To accomplish what you want to do:
	setenv bootpath rz(0,0,0)netbsd
	auto

If you want to specify a boot path other than what's in the bootpath
variable, you must use the "-f" flag:
	boot -f rz(0,0,0)netbsd

Cheers,
entropy