Subject: Re: ROM problem.
To: Matthew Hudson <mhudson@home.com>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@telstra.com.au>
List: port-pmax
Date: 03/28/1999 11:36:32
Matthew Hudson wrote:

> Okay. tftpd and bootpd are confirmed as running.
> I don't even get a request from the DECSystem.
> upon:
>
> boot 3/tftp
>
> all I get it the debug trap.

Your PROM "KN03-AA 5.1b" is listed on
http://www.NetBSD.ORG/Ports/pmax/board-list.html as "Doesn't appear to
tftp boot correctly".  I don't know where that original reference came
from, but it's not hopeful.

Are you having problems installing NetBSD from scratch?  You've really
only got about one and a half other options - load the install diskimage
onto a disk with a helper system that can use SCSI disks (a DECstation
running Ultrix is perfect for this), or booting via MOP.  The MOP option
is only half a chance, because I don't think that the mopd we ship on
NetBSD can load ecoff kernels - I think it was made to load a.out files
for Vaxen.  If you have another MOP capable system (Ultrix counts,
Digital Unix and/or VMS may - I've never tried), you should be able to
get them to load the kernel to your system.  However, if the NetBSD mopd
is your only hope, I'll see what I can do about banging it into shape.

Simon.