Subject: Re: Random crashes
To: Andy Doran <ad@psn.ie>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@telstra.com.au>
List: port-pmax
Date: 03/27/1999 14:18:44
Andy Doran wrote:

> Ugh. My 5000/125 keeps crashing at random; I need a little help. Usually
> it's in a state where taking a crash dump is impossible (doesn't even get
> as far as ddb). I've swapped the system unit with another, keeping only
> the disks and the memory, but that didn't fix anything. Everything I've
> seen points to bad memory, so I've tested the memory with the PROM, for
> example:
>
> 	>> t 3/mem 0
> 	3/mem(0) ***
> 	>>

As far as I can remember, the PROM "t" command is silent if there are no
errors.  I'd guess that the error is saying that SIMM 0 is bad - if you've
got more than one, try removing the first one and putting another in the first
slot.

I'll try to remember to check out my owner's manual when I get in to
work next.

> Do those three *'s mean anything bad? For the record I'm using -current
> from the 20th of March. I've only really noticed these crashes since
> I've started using a 1GB IBM-DPES disk, although I don't see how that's
> related... Any pointers appreciated.

If you get the same errors after power on before any SCSI access, it's
almost certainly just a coincidence.

Simon.