Subject: Re: Random crashes
To: Andy Doran <ad@psn.ie>
From: Michael L. Hitch <mhitch@lightning.oscs.montana.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 03/26/1999 20:41:29
On Sat, 27 Mar 1999, Simon Burge wrote:

> Andy Doran wrote:
>
> > Ugh. My 5000/125 keeps crashing at random; I need a little help. Usually
> > it's in a state where taking a crash dump is impossible (doesn't even get
> > as far as ddb). I've swapped the system unit with another, keeping only
> > the disks and the memory, but that didn't fix anything. Everything I've
> > seen points to bad memory, so I've tested the memory with the PROM, for
> > example:
> >
> > 	>> t 3/mem 0
> > 	3/mem(0) ***
> > 	>>
>
> As far as I can remember, the PROM "t" command is silent if there are no
> errors.  I'd guess that the error is saying that SIMM 0 is bad - if you've
> got more than one, try removing the first one and putting another in the first
> slot.

  According to the Personal DECstation [5000/25] manual, 't 3/mem 0' says
to test "board" 0 - where "board" is the memory slot.  An '*' will test
all memory modules.  The manual also indicates two different error
messages, with both begin with "TFL: 3/mem" with additional information
about the error.  It doesn't say anything about the output you are seeing.
[If anything, I would guess that may just be a progress indicator.]

Michael