Subject: emacs in X, adduser
To: None <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: Jeff Webb <mustang@eel.ufl.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 03/24/1999 22:40:17
I posted a few messages last month when I had trouble installing netbsd
on a 5000/200 system.  I just wanted to thank those who responded to my
questions (especially Simon), and let you know that I finally tracked
the problem down to the nfs server.  I don't know why, but for some
reason the DEC station would hang when copying files larger than a
certain size.  I setup another nfs server, and the installation went
beautifully.  I think the installation program is great, and had my nfs
server been working properly, installation would have been a breeze.  I
can't get the text-mode console to work very well (scrolling is not
clean, arrow keys don't work in emacs), but I quickly got X working, so
that's not a big deal.

I installed the pre-compiled emacs package, which works great if I use
"emacs -nw", but core dumps if I try to run the X version.  I tried a
few other (small) X programs, and they work okay.  Has anyone had a
problem like this?  I don't really know what to try next.

Another question: Is there supposed be an adduser program?  The man page
was installed, but I can't find it anywhere.  I added a user account by
editing the /etc/master.passwd file and running pwd_mkdb, but having the
adduser program would be nice.

Thanks for help.  I'm happy to be running NetBSD.

Jeff