Subject: Re: NetBSD/pmax 'hardware' description
To: Toru Nishimura <nisimura@itc.aist-nara.ac.jp>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@telstra.com.au>
List: port-pmax
Date: 03/24/1999 14:33:52
Toru Nishimura wrote:

> Hi, all.
>
> I updated 'distrib/notes/pmax/hardware' file.  I made several
> typographical and tracemark justifications leaving its contents almost
> untouched.  Here is my thought;

Thank you

> - Following statements are relevant enough, or need updated (in
> figure-wise)?
>
> > The minimal configuration requires 8M of RAM and ~60M of disk space.
> > To install the entire system requires much more disk space, and to run
> > X or compile the system, more RAM is recommended.  (NetBSD with 8M of
> > RAM feels like ULTRIX with 8M of RAM.)  Note that until you have
> > around 16M of RAM, getting more RAM is more important than getting a
> > faster CPU.

The new bootblocks (almost commited) load at 7MB into RAM, as do Ultrix
bootblocks.  It's conceivable that everything prior to now _might_ run
in 4 or 6MB...

"zcat NetBSD-1.3.3/base.tgz" is approx. 37MB, the last snapshot was
45MB.  Add a couple of the kernel and then 10% and we're looking at
about 60MB with almost 0 space free.  Maybe 80MB might be a more
realisitic figure.  FWIW, I use a 100MB RZ23 for basic testing of
release stuff (including 32MB of swap).

> - DECsystem 5900 is not mentioned here.  NetBSD/pmax will recognize it
> as DECstation 5000/2{4,6}0 if tried, and should run flawlessly (I
> don't TcE TURBOchannel Extender thing will work).

I guess this should be cross-checked with
http://www.NetBSD.ORG/Ports/pmax/models.html.  Will you have a chance to
do this?  I do know for sure that the 5900/260 works - that's what 1.3.3
was built on!

> Oh, Simon, I think
> I found the way to distinguish DECsystem 5900 from 2{4,6}0.

Simon.