Subject: Executable Formats
To: None <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: David Evans <dfevans@bbcr.uwaterloo.ca>
List: port-pmax
Date: 03/18/1999 14:21:30
  I'm a little confused about the current state of executable formats and
so just want to check things out.

a.out: The old format.  Can the bootblocks posted the other day handle
	   anything else?

ECOFF: The format used by Ultrix.  Booting over the network requires a kernel
	   in this format.  The NetBSD bootblocks don't understand this.

ELF: The new format.  Are kernels ever in this format?  Can the bootblocks
	 grok it?

The context of this is I'm trying to bring up a 3100 that seems very unstable
under 1.3.3 but has been pretty much OK so far using the 'ssto' kernel from
the February snapshot.  This is that same pesky 3100 that died horribly early
with a TLB miss under 1.2* and 1.3 but ran fine under Ultrix.

--
David Evans          (NeXTMail/MIME OK)             dfevans@bbcr.uwaterloo.ca
Computer/Synth Junkie                      http://bbcr.uwaterloo.ca/~dfevans/