Subject: FYI: new snapshot for testing. Needs new bootblocks.
To: None <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-pmax
Date: 03/15/1999 16:06:12
Hi all,

There's a new userland snapshot, for testing purposes, built from
Saturday's sup souce, on ftp.netbsd.org in the usual place.
I still need to rebuild and update the kernels; I may end up just
re-building from today's susp source.

The installation/misc/ directory of this snapshot includes new scsi
bootblocks.  The new `ramdisk' install/upgrade kernels run diskless,
using an ramdisk mfs image compiled into the belly of the kernel.

This means they are big -- too large for the 1.3.x bootblocks to load.
So if you want to install or upgrade by booting an `install' ramdisk
kernel from disk, you will have to install the new bootblocks.
(thanks to SImon for all the hard work).

There are no known problems booting older kernels with the new
bootblocks, so it's safe to go back.  I really recommend that everyone
update their bootblocks.  To do that, grab the new bootblocks from
the FTP server copy them to /usr/mdec, and do:

  disklabel -B  -b /usr/mdec/rzboot  -s /usr/mdec/bootrz /dev/rrz?c

(too install the bootblock  programs with the existing label).