Subject: Re: Beep on Personal DECstation
To: None <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: Toru Nishimura <nisimura@itc.aist-nara.ac.jp>
List: port-pmax
Date: 03/04/1999 10:29:20
Hi.

> Yup, I'm running X.  Having the visual bell on or off in my xterms makes
> no difference...still no sound.
>
> To see if this is a hardware or software problem, I tried pressing delete
> at the PROM prompt.  It didn't beep.  Should it have?  If so, I guess I
> can conclude my keyboard's beeper is busted...
>
> Is there anyone out there with a Personal that has gotten it to beep in or
> out of X?

LK501 keyboard definitely can beep.  But NetBSD/pmax kernel has no way
to send any command packets to LK501 keyboard.

If you want to check the keyboard beep, try to unplug and reinsert
modular connector behind chasis during PROM monitor mode (or ULTRIX
running).  As NetBSD/pmax kernel does not have 'hot-plugging'
capability, reinsertion would boggle down the entire system.

Personal DECstation has 79C30 chip inside (same beast as SparcStations
had), and I know our ULTRIX users used "I've got mail" nofifier and
'talking clock' things with it, but having the circuit supported by
NetBSD/pmax kernel would be a different story.

Tohru Nishimura
Nara Institute of Science and Technology