Subject: Re: NetBSD/pmax future projects
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-pmax
Date: 03/02/1999 19:12:54
>The point is, you pass entire "events" to wscons... if your device
>generates an interrupt-per-byte (like zskbd/zsmouse :-) then that
>layer has to buffer them until it has enough info to generate an
>event packet for wscons.

Yup, exactly.  The pmax has hardware which generates the same
`external' events either as a byte-stream, or as per-event dtop
packets.

I'm saying a loud 'no' to the idea of munging the dtop packets back
into a bytestream and passing them into the FSM code that parses
VS-xxx mouse events into wscons events. If Nisimura-san meant
someting else, then I apologise.

Oh yes, and I do want that byte-parsing to *be* an FSM: so it can be
shared as a subroutine by dc/dz, and zs, and whatever that weird
serial chip on the VCB01 was...