Subject: Re: PX/PXG driver - update
To: Andy Doran <ad@psn.ie>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-pmax
Date: 03/02/1999 13:57:27
In message <36DC506A.19286ECF@psn.ie>Andy Doran writes
>Marc Gutschner wrote:
>> Now, while looking for any information on this type of device I - sort
>> of - stumbled over a set of patches to the X11R5 source to add support
>> for the PX card. Do you already have these patches, and may they be of
>> any help in getting the boards supported? The file can be found on
>> 'export.lcs.mit.edu' in the directory '/R5contrib' and is named
>> 'Xpxpmax.tar.Z'

That's ... Amazing.

>This is excellent. It uses DDX, so it shouldn't be too hard to R6ize it.
>I have most of the code in the px driver for X integration. All it
>really has to do is pass clip rectangles to the card. I'll start
>commiting sources as soon as my account is created; BTW, thanks
>Jonathan & tls!.
>
>Andy.

That would be great. But we're using R5 servers on pmaxes anyway,
because we're still using the old, pre-Xws Xserver-to-kernel API.
The R5 patches may well drop into the R5 server source Michael keeps.

Or, if you think DDX-> R6 is `not too hard', maybe you could take on
converting the R5 source we use for the other framebuffers (cfb, sfb,
mfb, 2100/3100 motherboard buffers) too?? I havent done server hacking
since the R3 days, myself.

>PS: I won't have an account before I get ssh1 set up at home. Funnily
>enough, you need a machine that'll actually boot for that to happen ;).

No, thank *you* for doing the work!