Subject: Re: writing bootable drive for a DECstation 2100 or 3100 box
To: Simon Burge <simonb@telstra.com.au>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-pmax
Date: 03/01/1999 17:11:06
In message <199903020022.LAA16214@balrog.supp.cpr.itg.telecom.com.au>
Simon Burge writes
>rdkeys@unity.ncsu.edu wrote:

>The actual position of the disklabel varies between ports.  Having said
>that, it appears the boot NetBSD on the Sun 3 and the pmax stick the
>disklabel 64 bytes into the first sector on the disk.  What happens on
>the Sun3 if you do this:
>
>	# dd if=disklabel of=/dev/sdXc bs=32k
>	# disklabel sdX
>
>where X is the SCSI id of the disk you want to use for the pmax?

that's not what I'd do.  The diskimage includes a disklabel that
kernel inside the diskimage will recognize as "special"; when the
diskimage kernel boots it will ignore the disklabel it finds, query
the disk to find its size, and set up a prototype label with a 32Mbyte
root and spae for swap.

I'd just do
	dd if = <diskimage file> of = dev/rsdXc bs=32k

then move the disk to the DECstation and boot.

Simon's 'typical boot' is what I'd expect to see.  Maybe you also need
to enable writing to the Sun3's label area of the disk when doing the dd?

Of course, unless this is a 2100 or 3100 box with the balky old PROMs,
just netbooting is a lot simpler ;).